Thursday, August 3, 1944

It is a beautiful sunshiny day here in Brisbane and Dizard and I have the afternoon off to play tennis. Things in the office are caught up and there is nothing to do. We have had rumors flying around the past two days and the latest rumor is that we have dropped the P from FEAF. Of course everybody is sweating it because that will mean a new T/O and ratings. The word is that a radio from Washington came through yesterday, giving us the official Okeh and now we are waiting for a special order and a general order to come out making it really official. I'm supposed to be in for two stripes but that is as yet problematical. It is going to be interesting to see what is really done now after all the snow jobs we have been getting.

June is working for the life insurance company (several of them at once I think) and appears to like the work quite well. I fall more in love with her everyday it seems. I didn't think it would be possible to be so sure about a person and not be near her but I'm sure I have found the real thing in her.

The Wacs moved us out of Archerfield and I moved into the Old Mess Hall Barracks in the Valley. It is must more convenient than riding back and forth so darn far.

The war fronts are as follows. The Normandy battle is down to Vire and a little past Caen and expanding very slowly. The Italian campaign has slowed up. They have half of Pisa and are fighting in the outskirts of Florence. In Russia the Reds have taken part of Warsaw and in the past few weeks have taken Lwow, Brest-Livotack, Kaunas, Drinsk, Narva, Vilna, and are driving toward the East Prussian border. The Germans recently had another purge - claiming an attempt on Hitler's life. We landed at Sansapor on the N.G. mainland without opposition. Slightly over 600 to the Phillipines. The Japs trapped at Wewak have been trying to break out of the trap without success. The Navy Dept announced that fighting on the Tinian in the Marianas ended yesterday. The battle for Guam is still raging. Gen. Stilwell made four stars today. Japan sacked Tojo and his staff about ten days ago. It shows weakness internally in Germany and Japan to have all this trouble. The greatest thing of the past summer has been the remarkable Russian offensive - called the greatest offensive in the history of warfare.

No comments:

Post a Comment