Sunday, October 29, 1944

Our food situation around here has deteriorated until it is appalling. All the officer's iceboxes are full of meat and liquor and they are using two of our three iceboxes besides. We can open one of them - I mean watch them open them - and see the meat hanging inside and we can't get fresh meat. We haven't had fresh meat since the first few days that we came up to this place and the officers have it everyday. This morning we had blowed eggs and bread and coffee and I don't like coffee and can't stand blowed eggs. It is hard to see such class distinction shown between men when all are supposed to be fighting for the same thing and the same country. I always figured that was meant pretty much tough going, especially for anybody unfortunate enough to be sent overseas, but 95% of the officers in this headquarters never could possibly live this good in civilian life.

The war situation has improved a lot since October 14th. We invaded as planned October 21st on Leyte Island. Everything has gone according to plan and now we have practically all of Sumar Island. Our movement date has been moved up 30 days (the last rumor has it) and we may be told to start packing within a few weeks or so because they are anxious to get into the Philippines I think and leave this jungle behind if possible. The invasion played MacArthur up a lot with "I have returned" propaganda for the people somewhere. Anyway, we are expecting to have Manila by Christmas right now but we can't be sure until we do take it. The Germans are holding pretty well around the Rhine River but from the news coverage we get of the war over there isn't very clear. The Russians have broken through into East Prussia and are fighting for Konigsburg.

June's picture arrived along with a package of life savers, vitamin pills, and film. I was very happy to get it and it is beautiful. I think of her so much and wonder if we will ever be lucky enough to get married. When I think of the year behind me and the one or two more ahead it seems to me that something will happen to spoil things but I don't know what. If she waits for me I think I shall never be able to pay her back because it will prove to me what she is made of. I keep my fingers crossed constantly and watch developments. June is now going to school and working at the Ogden Arsenal on weekends.

It is raining outside. I have to get soaked again I guess. So long. Jiggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment