Sunday, September 2, 1945

It has been an exciting couple of weeks with lots of news and quick happenings. The big peace document is being signed today on the Battleship Missouri, making the surrender official and V-J day is today. The occupation of Japan is already well under way with lots of troops in there already. For a time we were worried whether the Japs were serious about surrendering or not, there was lots of stalling back and forth and over a week was required before they got the occupation dates set, now however things are really running smoothly. All troops will be required to take the Japs into camp. It is almost still too good to be true. A month ago today there was no news at all about the surrender, yet here we are, the war is over and we are all sweating out getting home. Naturally everybody wants out first, there are the long servicemen, over age men, men with families, everybody wants to get out. The men with over 85 points are naturally the ones that go first. After much stalling around and sweating Joe and the rest of the men in that class got their orders this very morning. That leaves me as Chief Clerk in the office, with all of his responsibilities and none of his rank, all of which doesn't bother me much because regardless of what happens I should find myself back in the states by the first of the year and so nothing else matters. The latest word is that the score will be re-evaluated within a few days. Then 80 is the new critical score and all men with over 80 will be sent home immediately. The sooner the better because as soon as the lower it to 70 or at least 72 I will be in. They should lower it at least 10 points on the next group and that will include me, as of today I have 72 points toward going home, provided we don't get any more battle stars, and it is possible that we will get one or two more. A couple more could put me over the top but I'm not counting on it. It would be wonderful to get home by Christmas but I'm not trying to count on it too much because that would be too wonderful. I'm hoping just a little anyway because I think I have a 50-50 chance. The WD lowered the age limit to 35 today, that knocks everybody over 35 out of the service too and doesn't particularly help us, but we can't kick too much.

On Saturday a week ago yesterday, they finally hospitalized me with the cankers that I've been having. They were certain that it was caused from something the matter with my stomach, an acid condition or something, but they didn't do anything for me. On the 29th, 11 days later, last Tuesday, they let me out, the cankers weren't any better, but now they have improved until they are nearly gone. Broke the piece off of my tooth so I still have a sore mouth but sooner or later I may be feeling pretty good again. These hospitals are not a laugh.

Started taking Sundays off today. The big rumor is that we leave for Tokyo by 25 September, I don't care to go but it looks as though we are going to have no choice. We just moved into our nice new barracks so it is about like the army to move us now. FEAF's existence is no longer justified, but the officers are hanging on until the last minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment