September 24, 1943

Some time has passed since my last entry in this book. July 20th I got my furlough. Bruce and Heller and I went to Bear Lake and Brighton and Dad went with us on a fishing trip to Deer Creek. We all had a wonderful time. While at Brighton I met a very wonderful girl - June Lundgren. My furlough ended August 1st and Heller left for San Luis, Opispo, California on August 2 with Sanford Hugg and Bill Cannon. Barlow immediately got a 15 day leave and we started again going out every night only this time it was June Lundgren.

Out here at camp I got a temporary Special Duty job at classification doing filing and pulling shipping orders in the Form 20 Room. On August 16 I applied for OCS in the Field Artillery. Went before the board one week later and two days later I was notified that I had been accepted and recommended for Officers School. I then took the OCS physical and passed it fine. However, the chances look rather dull at present because of a lack of quotas to the school. I was put on a rush order and went to town and told everyone goodbye and then was scratched the day before it left. We are waiting for shipment out of Kearns to a P.O.E. My mind is unsettled. I am in good health but getting nervous. I find it hard to sit down very long. Between thinking about Barbara and June I am slowly going crazy. Heller loaned me $25.00 Sunday to keep me on my feet for a while. The Yanks and St. Louis are going to tangle in the Series in a couple of weeks. I just wrote Doc Cannon betting him a few bucks on the outcome. He is a St. Louis fan and I a Yankee. Morale here is very low because of the way we are wasting time. I have been in the Army nearly six months and haven't been assigned. I go to town every night on a fake pass and buy gas from a few black market friends. Infantile Paralysis has closed all of the schools. I lost my job at classification and am waiting to go on helping the optician at the hospital

I am getting along much better in this man's army since I know the ropes a little better. The Yanks are closing in on Hitler and everyone is praying for him to crack so we can go to work on Tojo in earnest. We are all sick of war until we can hardly stand to live. My lucky stroke was to be close to home because everyone else hates Kearns, Utah like no other placed on earth. "No liquor, no nothing" they say. Got a letter from Barlow and he is pretty pissed off. Things are the same everywhere I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment