Sunday, October 17, 1944

We have a new troop ship that has only taken one trip and is capable of 23 knots or approximately 28 miles per hour and that is moving pretty fast on a ship this large. We have 2700 and I don't know how many officers. We have Australian and New Zealand flyers besides many enlisted men. It was about one o'clock yesterday afternoon that we streamed out under the bridge and by two o'clock I had tossed my cookies twice already. My sea legs weren't at all what I hoped they would be. I then hit my bunk and slept until five. I awoke at five, at three slices of bread and went back to sleep until 4:30 AM. We lost an hour during the night and I set my watch accordingly. After a few hours you start to get used to the old sway or the boat. Zing brought me two hard boiled eggs and two oranges which I ate this morning and felt so good that I went to the chow hall and had dinner. Receive instruction everyday as to what should be done in case of attack. We have target practice at four this afternoon.


Right now the men are spread around taking in this beautiful sunshine and beautiful water. It is the deepest most beautiful color of blue I have ever seen. I have felt swell all day and feel that I may last the trip if we don't hit any storms or if any storms don't hit us. We are absolutely unscathed. We haven't seen land or ship or anything but water since we streamed out of Frisco yesterday. I am beginning to realize what a great stretch of water this Pacific Ocean is. It averages 2 1/2 miles deep and we just go and go and go all the time and don't see anything. There are still plenty of boys who are plenty sick but I am thankful to say that I have felt swell since my first outburst. We have a Px on board but it hasn't as yet spread. I am sitting on deck leaning against a life raft trying to write when this darn boat is dipping from one side to the other like a roller coaster or something and it never stops. It is very interesting however and I am glad to be able to enjoy it even if we may get knocked off any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment